LEARN MORE ABOUT THE
BED RAIL SAFETY GUARD
The Bed Rail Safety Guard from Able life enables bed rails and bed handles to be used with an extra soft mattress. By preventing compression in the mattress, the Safety Guard helps to prevent bed rail entrapment.
FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES
Which Safety Guard do I Need?
To determine which sized safety guard is required, follow these guidelines:
- Identify your bed rail on the list to the left to to decide whether you need a 46″ or 20″ wide safety guard.
- Determine your mattress size. The safety guards come in three lengths to fit a twin, full/queen, or king sized bed.
How to Position your Safety Guard
The Bed Rail Mattress Guard must be centered with the bed rail as shown in the figure to the right. If the bed rail is extendable, first extend the rail and then center the safety guard.
NOTE: It is required for a fitted sheet to be installed over the top of the mattress and safety guard after installation.
Buckle the Safety Guard Around the Mattress
To correctly install the safety guard on your mattress, follow these directions:
- Place your Safety Guard on top of your mattress centered with your bed rail
- Run the B straps with buckles underneath the bed
- Secure buckles A and B and tighten straps
- Add a fitted sheet over the top of mattress guard
DO I NEED A BED RAIL SAFETY GUARD?
THERE IS A MUCH GREATER RISK OF ENTRAPMENT AND INJURY/DEATH WHEN USING BED RAILS WITH A SOFT MATTRESS! A soft mattress increases the risk that a person’s head, arm, or leg could become entrapped between the mattress and a rail. Entrapment can cause injury or death.
To ensure it is safe to use a bed rail with your mattress, test your mattress by taking your fist and applying about 12lbs (5.4kg) of weight on the edge of the mattress. If the mattress is soft enough that you can compress the mattress by about 2 inches (51cm) when applying 12 lbs (5.4 kg) of weight, do not use a bed rail without the bed rail safety guard. If you have any questions, please call 800-506-9901.
Get all your questions answered here:
Trying to decide which bed rail is best suited for yourself or a loved one can be a difficult task. To help make the process easier, we have featured “Five Things you Need to Know Before Purchasing the Right Bed Rail” in our blog.READ OUR BLOG POST
When purchasing a bed rail here’s a few helpful questions to consider:
- What is the intended use of the bed rail? If needing full fall protection from nighttime falls, longer safety railings are best. If you are in need of reliable assistance in and of out of bed, then a bedside safety handle would work best.
- What type of bed do you own? Able Life bed rails are compatible with traditional beds with box spring, flat platform, or slats. The Bedside Extend-A-Rail is not intended for use on adjustable beds.
- How thick is your mattress? Mattress thicknesses can alter the amount of railing that is exposed above the mattress. The Extend-A-Rail is intended to be used with mattresses ranging from 8″ to 16″ in thickness.
- What is the preferred weight capacity? The Extend-A-Rail can support weights up to 300 pounds. If additional support is needed, we recommend finding a bariatric rail.
- Will you need a bed rail away from home? If you are intending to travel with your bed rail, we recommend a lightweight and easily collapsible bed rail, like the Bedside Mighty Rail.
Able Life offers free standard shipping to the lower 48 states. Two-day shipping and overnight shipping are available for most items. We will send you an email with your tracking details as soon as your item leaves our building.
Able Life products can be registered for a 1-year guarantee, meaning if you are unsatisfied with a product within the first year of ownership, a customer service agent will work with you to ensure your complete satisfaction.To register your product for this lifetime satisfaction guarantee, visit ablelifesolutions.com/product-registration.After a product is registered it is covered by our 1-year guarantee.Our guarantee does not include normal wear and tear items such as brake pads, hand grips, wheels, ski glides, etc. Replacements parts are available for purchase as needed.
Purchases from ablelifesolutions.com are eligible for return within 30 days of delivery (excluding clearance items). Upon arrival, returned items will be inspected to ensure all original parts and/or pieces are included in the return. Once the item has been inspected, the customer will receive a full refund for the purchase amount.To initiate a return within 30 days of delivery, please contact our customer service team at 1-800-506-9901 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Bed Rail Safety Guard is ready to use right out of the box. It will need to be installed on the bed before use. For installation instructions, watch our video below:
The size of guard is determined by two things:
- The bed rail you intend to use
- The size of your bed (Twin, Full/Queen, King)
The 46-inch wide safety guard is recommended for full-length safety railings and extendable bed rails. The 20-inch wide safety guard is recommended for bed handles.
For a complete list of Able Life bed rails, refer to the graphic below.